Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sleeping, I am not...


Insomnia. Gotta love it.


Since I was about 17 I have had this come and go insomnia problem. I am pretty sure I can thank my mom for it. But, I will have it terribly for about 6 weeks and then, on it's own it will go away for a couple of months, only to return for another six weeks again. One might think that I could get a lot done during the wee hours of the morning without a toddler pulling at my leg. But I am usually so tired and frustated that I am not asleep that I don't do much of anything but lay there and wish I was asleep. I have tried counting, deep breathing, and I'll be honest, a Tylenol PM from time to time. But nothing (other than the Tylenol PM-but I try not to make a habit out of it) seems to work. It's wearing me out.


So for all you fellow insomniacs out there, (or fellow non-insomniacs, either way) any non-medicated suggestions for me? It would be fabulous if someone had some "miracle cure" that I just didn't know about. And I promise, if you have it, I will be sending goodies your way!

4 comments:

The Olsens said...

Have you heard of melatonin? It is a naturally occuring hormone in your body that tells you it's time to sleep. There have been studies that have shown that melatonin in supplement form can help "reset" your body's clock. Look it up and see if it is something you would like to try. If you think you would like some, I have some you can have if you'd like. That way you don't have to go out and buy a bottle of it just to try it out. Although.. I just looked and it's pretty old. It might not work as well as a new bottle would. Let me know if it helps!

Also I did yoga last night at 8 p.m. and wanted to go to sleep right after. I know you've tryed deep breathing, but maybe taking that to the next level in yoga or meditation form would be beneficial? I also have a guided meditation track that is supposed to end in sleep that I could try to email to you. Let me know!

Blythe said...

That picture is kinda creepy! I'm usually up until the wee hours of the morning as well, but I think that has more to do with being totally irresponsible than insomnia. I'll let you know if I think of any ideas!

A said...

Hil,
So sorry, that sounds miserable! I too have heard of melatonin. It's worth a try! Good luck!

Courtney said...

Okay, Hil - this must be a Sudweeks thing, because I totally go through bouts of insomnia, too. It is so annoying, and like you, I just lay there being totally irked at the fact that I am awake and that I have to get up in 5 hours. Grrrrr!! Let me know if you've found a solution, please.